Skip to main content

If APC did not win, I knew I was going to be in trouble- Gov Amaechi



Governor of Rivers state, Rotimi Amaechi says he would have been in trouble and would have been hounded out of the country if APC hadn't won the presidential election. Amaechi said this during the public presentation of a book titled “Dynamics of Change: The Amaechi Years” which is the compilation of his achievements a governor. The book was presented in Lagos yesterday May 14th

"I knew I was going to be in trouble. Anything that would cause that change not to take place, I was ready to make that sacrifice. The federal government sent out a signal that if they won nobody should let me out of Nigeria from any airport. One day Asiwaju got angry with me. He was very angry. I went to his house with Mallam Nasir El-Rufai and knelt down, saying ‘please let’s not disagree, let’s win first and then we can disagree.
I lost my passport in Ghana and went to the High Commission. They gave me a certificate but the Ambassador was given a query for doing so. I later applied for a passport and they gave me green, not red. Now they have given it to me two weeks ago. I told Asiwaju that what is important is to make a history of the first civilian coup in Nigeria when your children and grandchildren read the history with your name as one of the people who helped bring about change in Nigeria. I said, let us focus on the victory. I remember the day of the convention, there were so many intrigues, there will be convention, there won’t be convention, I said my leader, if we don’t do the convention we are finished, the press will say APC cannot hold a convention, lead us now, there must be convention and election. So, he turned to me and said look for Tunde (Fashola), let us go.” he said.

Professor Wole Soyinka who wrote the foreword of the book said:
“The political atmosphere today, whatever you call it, change or hope, or cautious or careless hope, I
recognise two individuals who led the change. One of them I call him the architect of that process, he is Ahmed Bola Tinubu. The arrowhead of the charge that led to the change is the man we are gathered here to honor. It is basic arithmetic fallacy of governance when 16 is said to be higher than 19, something is fundamentally wrong. Governor Amaechi stood up and challenged even his own colleagues saying, let us change the orientation of the nation. Somebody once said to me to tell the young man that he was going to destroy himself that he should slow down. Of course I didn’t deliver the message.”he said.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prices of Maize, Rice and other food commodities to rise in December, 2022 – Survey

One of Nigeria’s commodities market players, AFEX has forecasted a surge in prices of six food commodities, namely maize, paddy rice, sorghum, soybean, cocoa and sesame by the end of December 2022 to the first half of 2023. AFEX’s forecast is contained in its 2022 Wet Season Crop Production Report unveiled at a hybrid event hosted at the firm’s head office in Abuja on Wednesday. The report said maize which faces a projected decline in production levels of up to 14% will reach a higher average price point ranging between N214, 980/metric ton ($486.72) and N220,000/metric ton ($498.09) by the end of the fourth quarter (Q4) 2022. According to the report, this is compared to an average price of ($475.97) N210, 229/metric ton in Q4 2021, and projected that soybean price will rise by 6% by May 2023. David Ibidapo, AFEX head of market data and research who presented the report said annual crop production research seeks to provide robust market intelligence for agriculture value chain player...

GTCO Plc Releases 2022 Q3 Unaudited Results

..Reports Profit Before Tax of ₦169.7billion Guaranty Trust Holding Company Plc (“GTCO” or the “Group”) has released its Unaudited Consolidated and Separate Financial Statements for the period ended September 30, 2022, to the Nigerian Exchange Group (NGX) and London Stock Exchange (LSE). The Group reported profit before tax of ₦169.7billion, representing an increase of 11.7% over ₦151.9billion recorded in the corresponding period ended September 2021.  The Group’s loan book (net) increased by 2.2% from ₦1.80trillion recorded as at December 2021 to ₦1.84trillion in September 2022, while deposit liabilities increased by 6.4% from ₦4.13trillion in December 2021 to ₦4.39trillion in September 2022.  The Group’s balance sheet remained well structured and resilient with total assets and shareholders’ funds closing at ₦5.81trillion and ₦872.8billion, respectively.  Strong Capital Ratios and Asset Quality were sustained as CAR, NPL ratio, and Cost of Risk (COR) closed at 20.7%, 5...

Winfest Campaign: Access Bank to Splash over N1bn on Customers

Access Bank Winfest Campaign Access Bank Plc, yesterday said it is rewarding its loyal customers with cash rewards and other items up to N1 billion for funding, transacting, maintaining, and increasing their deposits from October 2022 to November 2023 through the Access Winfest campaign. The essence of this campaign, it stated, is to promote a savings culture and efficient banking among Nigerians using alternative channels. The Deputy Managing Director, Retail, North, Access Bank, Victor Etuokwu in a statement said, “Over the past two decades, Access Bank has continued to grow in every dimension, particularly its customer base, due to customers like you whose patronage, advocacy, and loyalty have remained unparalleled. At Access Bank, we care most about how happy our customers are, and we hope to find more chances like this one to make their lives and the lives of many other Nigerians better.” To get on board the winning train, simply increase the balance on your account , carry out t...