Skip to main content

Boko Haram stoned kidnapped girls to death with near rescue



 Boko Haram stoned kidnapped girls to death with near rescue

Boko Haram fighters stoned some of their captives to death as Nigeria’s military approached to rescue the women, survivors told The Associated Press on Sunday.

Several women died when they were crushed mistakenly by a Nigerian military armored car.

And three were blown up by a land mine as they were walking to freedom.

These tragic stories come from girls and women brought to a refugee camp here, still finding it hard to believe they are safe, some after more than a year in the hands of Nigeria’s homegrown Islamic extremists.

“We just have to give praise to God that we are alive, those of us who have survived,” said 27-year-old Lami Musa as she cradled her 5-day-old baby girl.

“We just have to give praise to God that we are alive, those of us who have survived,” said Lami Musa, 27, as she cradled her 5-day-old baby girl.

She is among 275 children, girls and women, many bewildered and traumatized, who were getting medical care and being registered Sunday on their first day out of out of Nigeria’s war zone.

Nigeria’s military said it has freed nearly 700 Boko Haram captives in the past week. Musa was in the first group to be transported by road over three days to the safety of Malkohi refugee camp, a dust-blown deserted school set among baobab trees on the outskirts of Yola, the capital of northeastern Adamawa state.

Musa had just given birth to her yet-to-be-named babe last week when the crackle of gunfire hinted rescuers might be nearby.

“Boko Haram came and told us they were moving out and said that we should run away with them. But we said no,” she explained from a bed in the camp clinic.

“Then they started stoning us. I held my baby to my stomach and doubled over to protect her.”

She and another survivor of the stoning, Salamatu Bulama, said several girls and women were killed, but they do not know exactly how many.

The horrors did not end once the military arrived. A group of women were hiding under some bushes. They could not be seen by the soldiers in an armored personnel carrier who drove right over them.

“I think those killed there were about 10,” said Bulama.

Other women died from stray bullets, she said, naming three she knew.

Bulama shielded her face with her veil and cried when she thought about another death in the camp: Her only son, a toddler of two who died of an illness she said was aggravated by malnutrition two months ago.

“What will I tell my husband?” she sobbed. She heard Sunday from other survivors using borrowed cell phones to try and trace relatives that her husband is alive and in the northern town of Kaduna.

Musa said her husband, the father of the new baby, was killed by Boko Haram when they abducted her from her village of Lassa in December. She doesn’t know the fate of their three other children.

At the camp, 21 girls and women with bullet wounds and fractured limbs were taken to the city hospital after they arrived Saturday evening.

On Sunday, officials were collating details of the rescued 61 women and 214 children, almost all girls.

Health workers put critically malnourished babies on intravenous drips, babies whose rib cages and shoulder blades protruded like skeletons were given packs of therapeutic food to suck from.

Through interviews, officials have determined that almost all those rescued are from Gumsuri, a village near the town of Chibok. It does not appear that any of those released are from the group of nearly 300 Chibok schoolgirls kidnapped by Boko Haram a year ago in a mass abduction that outraged many around the world.

“Based on registration we have carried out so far, none of them is from Chibok,” said Zakari Abubakar, Malkohi camp team leader for the National Emergency Management Agency.

The women and children were rescued by the military from the Sambisa Forest, the last stronghold of the Islamic extremists, and had to travel for three days on the open backs of military trucks to reach the safety of Malkohi Camp.

More than 677 women and girls were freed when soldiers destroyed more than a dozen insurgent camps in the forest, Nigeria’s military said.

Many said they had been taken captive in the past nine months, when Boko Haram had seized a large swath of northeastern Nigeria and declared it an Islamic caliphate. Then, Nigerian troops ran away from the extremists’ advances, complaining they were not given enough ammunition or food to fight, and leaving civilians with no defense against an uprising that killed as many as 10,000 people last year. Some 1.5 million people have been driven from their homes.

The tide has turned in the past nine weeks with a new infusion of armory including helicopter gunships, and a coalition with neighboring countries that brought in troops from Niger, Chad and Cameroon.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If APC did not win, I knew I was going to be in trouble- Gov Amaechi

Governor of Rivers state, Rotimi Amaechi says he would have been in trouble and would have been hounded out of the country if APC hadn't won the presidential election. Amaechi said this during the public presentation of a book titled “Dynamics of Change: The Amaechi Years” which is the compilation of his achievements a governor. The book was presented in Lagos yesterday May 14th "I knew I was going to be in trouble. Anything that would cause that change not to take place, I was ready to make that sacrifice. The federal government sent out a signal that if they won nobody should let me out of Nigeria from any airport. One day Asiwaju got angry with me. He was very angry. I went to his house with Mallam Nasir El-Rufai and knelt down, saying ‘please let’s not disagree, let’s win first and then we can disagree. I lost my passport in Ghana and went to the High Commission. They gave me a certificate but the Ambassador was given a query for doing so. I later applied for a p...

Ebola Vaccine Could Be Ready in Africa Soon

The World Health Organization says a trial Ebola Fever Immunogen has been observed to be amazingly defensive against the ferocious infection in a major trial in Guinea Ebola "The immunization is the first to keep contamination from a standout amongst the most deadly known pathogens, and the discoveries add weight to early trial comes about distributed a year ago," WHO said in a public statement. The UN health agency noticed the aftereffects of the most recent trial distributed on Friday in the restorative diary The Lancet. As indicated by WHO , the vaccine, 'rVSV-ZEBOV' , was considered in a trial involving 11,841 individuals in Guinea during 2015. It said among the 5,837 people who received the vaccine, no Ebola cases were recorded 10 days or more after vaccination. In comparison, there were 23 cases in 10 days or more after vaccination among those who did not receive the vaccine, the global health organisation said. The report quoted Dr. Marie-Pau...

Why are we so awful at creating the correct flu vaccines?

Everybody loves to be the stickler who calls attention to how incapable the flu immunization is, or how poor our reputation is on anticipating the correct match. The shot needs to secure against three or four particular infections, each with their own remarkable hereditary profile, and frequently the yearly expectation is off. Prompt the naysayers. And they’re not wrong. Why is it so difficult to know what sort of vaccine to make? What's more, how might we improve? The flu is a sneaky little devil Influenza viruses are tricky. Unlike more stable diseases, the flu is constantly morphing into ever-so-slightly different forms to evade our annual vaccine campaigns. This is at the core of our need for an annual shot—there’s always a new genetic variant. It’s somewhat akin to antibiotic resistance. Viruses tend to have more genetic mutations because their replication method is prone to errors. To more complex organisms, constant mutations would be problematic (it only takes a few key ...